Basic Alfredo Sauce for Fresh Pasta
- 1 pound fresh pasta of choice
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 10 fl. oz. heavy cream
- 2 oz. grated Parmigiano or Romano cheese
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
How to Make It
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Add heavy cream, cheese, salt, and nutmeg.
- Stir slowly over medium heat until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Prepare pasta according to instructions and add to sauce; stir over medium heat until pasta and sauce are well incorporated. If sauce gets too thick or sticky, add pasta cooking water a tablespoon-full at a time.
This do-anything white sauce makes a perfect base to make an endless variety of fresh pasta recipes, using ingredients you already have. See our suggestions below!
The possibilities with this basic sauce are endless! Stir in:
- Basil pesto
- Sautéed mushrooms and rosemary
- Sun-dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers
- Fresh spinach and roasted garlic
- Goat cheese and chives
- Lemon and fresh dill
- Cider/cider concentrate and chopped bacon
- Ham and peas