Basic Alfredo Sauce for Fresh Pasta
This do-anything white sauce makes a perfect base to make an endless variety of fresh pasta recipes, using ingredients you already have. See our suggestions below!
- 1 pound fresh pasta of choice
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 10 fl. oz. heavy cream
- 2 oz. grated Parmigiano or Romano cheese
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
How to Make It
- Melt butter over medium heat.
Add heavy cream, cheese, salt, and nutmeg.
Stir slowly over medium heat until the sauce thickens slightly.
Prepare pasta according to instructions and add to sauce; stir over medium heat until pasta and sauce are well incorporated. If sauce gets too thick or sticky, add pasta cooking water a tablespoon-full at a time.
The possibilities with this basic sauce are endless! Stir in:
- Basil pesto
- Sautéed mushrooms and rosemary
- Sun-dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers
- Fresh spinach and roasted garlic
- Goat cheese and chives
- Lemon and fresh dill
- Cider/cider concentrate and chopped bacon
- Ham and peas