Basic Tomato Sauce for Pasta
- 1 pound fresh pasta of choice
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (28) oz can of ground peeled tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water (use pasta cooking water if possible)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn in half
- Pinch of dry oregano
How to Make It
- Heat olive oil in sauce pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and the garlic cloves; stir continuously until the onion has become transparent.
- Add ground peeled tomato and water; let simmer for 20-30 min. until the sauce is thickened.
- Remove garlic; stir in basil. Add salt to taste and a pinch of dry oregano.
- Prepare pasta according to instructions and add to sauce; stir over high heat until pasta and sauce are well incorporated.
A basic tomato sauce is a perfect vehicle to maximize variety on a menu while keeping labor and food costs minimal – one batch of sauce can become two, three, five different menu items with just a few mix-ins. See our suggestions below!
Make your red sauce work 5x as hard – add:
- Anchovies, capers, and olives for a Puttanesca Sauce
- Bacon, onion, and Romano cheese for all’ Amatriciana Sauce
- Crushed red pepper flakes for Arrabbiatta Sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream and grated cheese for a Pink Sauce