Pumpkin Lasagna with Bolognese, Kale, & Mozzarella
- 2 Lilly’s Fresh Lasagna Sheets, cut in half
- 2 Tbsp./1 oz. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup/4 oz. onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 8 oz. lean ground beef
- ½ cup/4 oz. red wine
- 1 (28 oz.) can plum tomatoes
- 1 each/1 lb. 4 oz. small butternut squash or other pumpkin
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 8 oz. kale, tough ribs removed
- 2 cups/8 oz. part-skim mozzarella, grated
How to Make It
- To make the quick Bolognese, heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and onion. Cook until the onion is soft and starting to brown (about 3 minutes). Add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook until aromatic (about 30 seconds). Add the ground beef, breaking it up into small pieces. Continue to cook until lightly browned (about 7 minutes).
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine. Simmer for a few minutes to cook off the raw alcohol flavor. Add the tomatoes and break them up. Continue to simmer, about 10 minutes or longer if you have time. Season to taste with salt and pepper. There should be about 1 quart of sauce.
- While the sauce is cooking, roast the butternut squash. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Peel the butternut squash. Cut the neck of the squash away from bulbous bottom. Slice the neck into ¼” thick slices. Cut the bulbous bottom in half and scoop out the seeds (roast them for a snack if you’re feeling virtuous!). Slice into ¼” thick slices.
- Place the butternut squash on a roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil. Roast until softened and starting to brown (about 15 minutes). Reserve.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook the kale until softened (about 7 minutes). Drain. When cool enough to handle, finely chop the kale. Reserve.
- Assemble the lasagna:
- Ladle about ¼ of the sauce over the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Arrange 1 half-sheet of pasta over the sauce.
- Sprinkle the kale over the lasagna. Ladle another ¼ of the sauce over the kale and top with another half-sheet of pasta.
- Strew the butternut squash over the lasagna and sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over the squash. Top with 1 more half-sheet of pasta.
- Ladle the remainder of the sauce over the lasagna. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted, bubbling and starting to brown.
Serving Size: 4
- Fresh Lasagna Sheets